Deforestation in Borneo – studying the situation

Our class is looking at deforestation in Borneo and how it impacts climate change. To get started we used our newly acquired knowledge of creative commons to create this voicethread. Students worked in small groups with a variety of devices (an iPad per group or shared between two groups and some groups also used their own iPod touches, blackberry’s, playbook, iPhones, netbooks). They found images that were licensed with creative commons, edited their photos to include the attribution and then uploaded the image to the voicethread.

Visitors to our blog: Please comment in the comments area for this post. We based our research questions on the video posted in a previous post (Willie Smits TED Talk). Do you have any other questions?  Please note that comments may take some time to show up on the blog because they are moderated (have to be approved by me).

One thought on “Deforestation in Borneo – studying the situation

1. Hello All! I was in Sarawak, Malaysia (Borneo) for two months this past summer doing ethnobotany research. I spent time collecting culinary plants used within two Indigenous groups, the Penan of Long Iman village in Mulu, and Bidayuh of Kampung Kiding. Both villages are without roads, motor bikes or automobiles, and striving to balance traditional living with modern sustenance and realities.

When I took a flight from Kuching (Sarawak) to Mulu, it was shocking to see how much clear-cutting was in evidence below. I had heard about all of the Indonesian deforestation, but not so much on the Malaysian side. Some of the animals at risk for extinction in Borneo include: pygmy elephant, Sumatran rhino, Orangutan, Bornean Bay Cat, and Hose’s Civet among many others. In addition there are many plants at risk due to habitat loss. My work was based on plants, but while there I was exposed to other research as well, including a talk by Dr. Jedediah Brodie who does camera trapping throughout Malaysian Borneo to get rare footage of endangered species.

It is awesome that your class is getting to research global conservation issues, as they will be able to apply their knowledge to local issues as well. I for one have been shocked to find palm oil in the labels of many products I use, from convenience snacks to those found even in health food aisles, and even in facial and body cosmetics! I am eager to eliminate palm oil products from my home, as I am sure your students are as well. Good luck!